It is a small town and a harbor in a deep bay on the north side of the island.
Because of the frequent attacks by pirates in the 15th century and dangers of the Ottomans, 13 towers were built in Pučišća.
The General "Providur" of Dalmatia, Filipo Pasqualigo, awarded it the title of a Castel, in 1600. After the end of the Turkish threat and as piracy subsided, the towers lost their defensive significance and were adapted to residential buildings.
Since antiquity, Pučišća has been famous for its quarries Tesije, Punta, Veselje and Kupinovo. The "Veselje" stone-quarries go back as early as 1455, when the renter was the well-known stonemason Juraj Dalmatinac and later also the architects and sculptors Andrija Aleši and Nikola Firentinac. Not only did they use the Brac stone, they also came to Brac to choose the right stone and oversaw the production. This stone was used to build palaces in Split, Sibenik, Trogir, Zadar, Rab, as well as abroad in Ancona, Rimini and Trieste. The tradition of stone processing has been preserved to this day and there is still a stonemason school in Pučišćima.
Pučišća has beautiful coves and beaches, and the tourist offer is enriched with various cultural events such as the Pučiško Cultural Summer, the International Summer Music School and the Brač Summer Festival.